It’s National Ice Cream Day!! You scream, I’ll scream, We’ll all scream for the ice cream!!
Nothing is better than ice cream in the summer. Except homemade ice cream!!! I remember making homemade ice cream as a child. My mother had an ice cream machine. We would add the rock salt and all of our ingredients. And then we would churn, churn, churn! My mother would let us take turns doing so. And then we would wait for our sweet treat to be ready. Those were the days.
I want to share with you a more simple way of making ice cream. The recipes I prepared were adapted from a recipe at Tip Hero. I have prepared classic Vanilla, Cinnamon and an Almond Joy creation. The recipes are easily to follow, and the ingredients are readily available in your pantry or at your local supermarket.
All that you will need are some pint size (16 oz) mason jars for each recipe that you make. For the base recipe, you’ll need heavy whipping cream, vanilla and sugar. That’s it! All of the base ingredients are added in the mason jar. You then close the jar, and shake, shake, shake!
For the Cinnamon flavor, I added cinnamon with the base ingredients, prior to shaking. For the Almond Joy flavor, I added cream of coconut with the base ingredients, and only used 1 tablespoon of sugar. And then shredded coconut, chocolate chips and sliced almonds were added after shaking.
If you choose to add fruit, add it first with the sugar and mash them together. Then add the other ingredients. If you want to add other ingredients such as chocolate chips, you will add them after you’ve shaken the base ingredients together.
The ice cream must freeze for 3 or more hours, until it is hard. Serve it alone or make a sundae. Either way, enjoy some homemade goodness for National Ice Cream Day!
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (only 1 tablespoon for Almond Joy flavor)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (I used pure Mexican vanilla, only ¼ teaspoon)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- Cinnamon flavor:
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (added in with base ingredients)
- Almond Joy flavor:
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut (added in with base ingredients)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (added after shaking)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (added after shaking)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (added after shaking)
- Add the whipping cream, sugar, vanilla extract and salt (if using) to a pint sized (16 oz) mason jar.
- Secure the lid on the jar and shake for 3-5 minutes until the mixture thickens and doubles in size.
- Place the jar in the freezer for 3 or more hours until it hardens.
- Serve and enjoy ice creams as is or in a sundae!
See it in the making in my YouTube video!!